The content of the handouts is based on empirical research that shows the following:
• Parents control and shape the environment in which their children develop.
• Parent-child interactions, including those around food, are most effective when done with warmth and sensitivity.
• Parents who have more positive parenting skills are more likely to have positive interactions with their children around food.
• Parents need to begin shaping healthy eating habits early. Children’s eating habits begin forming as early as 3 years of age.
• Promoting positive parenting is beneficial to all parent-child interactions, including feeding.
• Positive parenting is associated with better dietary behaviors of children.
Can be used with the rest of the Healthy Happy Families curricula.
This is a free publication that you can download.
This publication requires the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader. You can download a free copy of the Acrobat Reader from Adobe Systems Incorporated.