The content of the handouts is based on empirical research that shows the following:
• Parents control and shape the environment in which their children develop.
• Parent-child interactions, including those around food, are most effective when done with warmth and sensitivity.
• Parents who have more positive parenting skills are more likely to have positive interactions with their children around food.
• Parents need to begin shaping healthy eating habits early. Children’s eating habits begin forming as early as 3 years of age.
• Promoting positive parenting is beneficial to all parent-child interactions, including feeding.
• Positive parenting is associated with better dietary behaviors of children.
Can be used with the rest of the Healthy Happy Families curricula.
This free publication is available by download.
This publication requires the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader. You can download a free copy of the Acrobat Reader from Adobe Systems Incorporated.